Millett Family

Millett Family

Background

The Millett Family Adventures

Welcome to my blog that will follow my family, the Milletts, on our day-to-day life, trips, and adventures we might come across.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hobby (sort of)









Since most of our stuff is packed and in storage there isn't a lot for me to choose from for "ME" time. I read, of course, my first hobby and passion (courtesy of my dad), I am rereading the Twilight series (I love it!) right now, there is also watching tv and listening to music (another big passion, and since my flute is packed, I can't play, so listening is only what I can do right now).

I believe myself to not be especially creative. I don't write well, (English was a hated subject for me in school, least fav, whereas science and math were favorites), I can't sing (I did a semester of choir in 8th grade and did have a solo, but to myself I wasn't that good), I love to dance but no real skill at "real" dancing (even though I took gymnastics, tap, ballet and jazz and cheerleading, each a year except for cheer which was 2yr).
I have tried my hand a drawing a few different times in my life through the years and its not too bad in my opinion. But to think up and draw something imagined is hard for me but if I look at pictures or real life object I think I can do an okay to decent job. In sixth grade, the school had a contest where the students were to draw a picture of anything and then one student from each grade was chosen and there picture would be made out of tile mosaic and placed on the school in different areas. I didn't think I had a shot at winning but I submitted a picture anyway. It was of a hummingbird sitting on a branch, blue sky behind, just the bird and the branch. Well my picture was chosen for the sixth grade class and the picture/mural was made and put on the school permanently.
After my moms parents had both passed away (grandpa in my senior year of hs, 2001, my grandma almost 2 yrs to the day my grandpa died), I went through some depression. My parents thought I should get out of town and go visit with family, so I went to WA for a couple of weeks and while I was there I started to draw a little bit. My grandma has a thing for angels so I tried to draw some of the angels around the house, they weren't very good but drawing was an outlet for me, of course I didn't realize it at the time.
Fast forward to the present. Mark has been working a lot lately, double edge sword, we need to money but we need him here with us. So Mark would be coming in the door when I was already in bed and leave while I was still in bed. I love my boys but being with them for so long without a break was hard. So when they were playing or taking naps I started playing around with the idea of drawing them from pictures I had. Then I decided I need to practice more on other things before I try to do my beautiful boys any justice with a pictures drawn by me. So I started with what I started with back in sixth grade, a hummingbird. This time in flight drinking from a flower. Definitely harder than when I first drew a hummingbird. I think it came out good. Next one was of 2 calla lilies, but I think I rushed it and it is not so good. But I keep seeing things that would be great to try to capture. There is a picture I have in my head that I have been playing around with. I wasn't able to take a picture of it at the time but it has stuck in my head ever since. So I guess that will be out of my head rather than a picture. I haven't had the time to draw it out yet but hopefully maybe this weekend I will have a chance to start it.









No comments:

Post a Comment